Social Networking with Triberr

Original depiction of fictional anthropomorphi...

Original depiction of fictional anthropomorphic rabbit from the first chapter of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Journal Entry: 3.29.12

Spent the day trying to learn how to be a better social networker. (I can just imagine some mom of the future saying, “Johnny, no girl is ever going to date you unless you expand your social network. No one wants a guy with only 50 followers.)

Anyway, this means I spent the day staring at my computer, googling, reading, scrolling, clicking, and trying to decipher what social plan of action to take. This is what I learned: If you google, How to increase your following on twitter, it’s like jumping down a virtual rabbit hole. “Ahhhhh” T.M.I., Google! Way too much information!

About 4:30 p.m. my dog, Henry, plopped his little furry behind beside me, looked up, and gave me that look that said I’d been ignoring him, I was bad dog owner, and I better take him for a walk or he’d call the Anti Cruelty Society. Woof, woof! So I did. I took him for a walk. Henry is so smart.

The walk cleared my mind and reminded of  my goal:

I’d like to spend a half hour in the morning on social networking.

• Tweeting and scrolling through twitter to see what’s up.
  • Checking out interesting websites and links, people’s books and such
  • Posting on Pinterest.
  • Glancing at Facebook
  • And Triberr? (See more about this below)

Then, one half hour at the end of the day doing the same thing.

Is that unreasonable? I know-I know…if I don’t use a timer there’s no way that half hour plan of action will stick. However, as an author, whether you’re picked up by one of the big publishing houses (like I was for my first picture book) or a self-published eBook author (like I’m contemplating becoming in the near future), unless you’re one of the lucky .01 percent, the marketing falls on your shoulders. And, in today’s world, that means social networking. So… how to do it and still have time to write? I don’t know. However, today, I did take a baby step: I joined Triberr.

That’s triberr.com. I like the concept…I think? If it is what I think it is, by joining so-called “tribes” you add power to your tweets by having them automatically reposted by your tribe mates; thus, expanding your twitter exposure.

I’m still learning. In fact, right now I’m a bit overwhelmed. That said, if you want to join my tribe (is this sounding a bit like social gang talk?) comment on this post, adding your twitter account, and I’ll send you an invite.

By the way, my Triberr group is “Middle-Grade/YA Sci-fi and Fantasy Books and Writing” We’re all about: Writers and Readers who love everything from Tolkien and J.K. Rowling, to Clive Barker and Neil Gaiman…and more, so many, many more! Let’s talk about books we love, share writing tips, give support, blog about each other’s books, and maybe add a few laughs along the way. Go ahead, be a nerd, join our tribe–may the force be with us!

That’s it. I’ve had enough of staring at a little glowing screen for one day. Check out the links below if you want to learn more about Triberr. Also, comment. Tell me what works for you. Point me in the right direction. Better yet, invite me to join your tribe!

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Social Networking with Triberr

1. Catana says:

What was that about half an hour in the morning and half an hour at night? I’d never be able to stick to that, and you just made it worse. Now I have to check out Triberr.

2. jccassels says:

I feel your pain. I, too, am a Triberr newbie. Today was the first time I’d gotten my blog feed to automatically post in Triberr! I sat down six hours ago with the intent to spend only an hour on the PR aspects of it, and still haven’t gotten out of my jammies yet! I should really get on that.
    @calicoco468

• Lorijo Metz says:

I’m aiming for that 1/2 hour. Realistically, it’s going to take a bit of work to get there. I’m putting in the work now, hoping that a month from now I’ll have some sort of “groove” going. We will see…

3. Dino Dogan says:

hey Lorijo and the rest of the social gang 🙂

Dino here, Founder of Triberr

We have a How To Triberr workshop next weekend. We havent announced it yet, but next saturday, around 4PM EST, for about an hour.

I realize this may max out your online engagement for the day, so I figured I’d let you know in advance so you can plan it out :-p

Will send out email mid week about it.

In the meantime, we have a free workshop tomorrow with few seats available, about How To Write a Perfect Headline… in case you want to join us 🙂

See ya soon around these here intertubes 🙂

• Lorijo Metz says:

Thanks Dino, I’ll be there! As little as I’ve done on Triberr, I’ve already seen some benefit. I plan to spend tomorrow learning as much as I can about it and then I’ll definitely be there next Saturday.

4. EddieLouise says:

I am definitely interested in learning more about Triberr.

I use the pomodoro method to write and manage my day including SM. I work in 30 minutes shifts with 15 min breaks. I can usually do 7 to 8 ‘shifts’ a day. During my breaks I must stand and or walk around (for physical health). Some of those breaks are taken up by food, and or potty breaks, but I find that at least half of them work for ‘internet time’.

This way I can stay relatively involved in the conversations that occur throughout the day, but I still get my writing done.

Of course, I am currently unemployed, so this will all go out the window once I get a job.

Comment, Criticize or Cajole

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s